A beautiful country house dating back to Georgian times with outbuildings, on a spectacular site of 1.5 acres with stunning views panning 360 degrees from Scrabo Tower, through Strangford Lough and from the Mourne Mountains to Cavehill. There is a further 6.5 acres of land in 5 paddocks available by separate negotiation.
This is a spectacular elevated setting and is so conveniently located just ten minutes from the edge of Belfast, a mile from Comber, four miles from Newtownards, 20 minutes from George Best City Airport and 30 minutes from Stena ferry terminal.
An impressive and charming family home which retains many original period features with additions and improvements carried out over the years using quality reclaimed materials sourced from old schools, churches and reclamation yards, including brass light switches from the original Johnstone House maternity hospital in Belfast, the inner double doors from Ashleigh House girls school and panelling and carved woodwork from Harland and Wolff.
The living accommodation is extensive with the more formal drawing room and dining room, family room, fabulous kitchen /dining with adjacent service pantry and large utility room and a den with shower room and loft bedroom which could be easily adapted for an independent 'Granny' flat.
Upstairs the five bedrooms are all of good proportions, the master bedroom with spacious walk in wardrobe and en suite and a striking family bathroom with a host of period fittings.
Hillhead is approached by a tarmac lane from the Ballyhenry Road with a gravel driveway sweeping around to front of the house and it sits on a site of 1.5 acres including the delightful mature gardens, paved courtyard adjacent to the house, outbuildings including double garage, large shed, five stables and two small paddocks. There is a further 6.5 acres in five grass paddocks available to purchase by separate negotiation. Many quality thoroughbred horses have been bred here over the years and it's a property that would suit a family with equestrian interests
Country Houses of this quality so close to Belfast do not come on to the market often and Hillhead may be the opportunity you cannot afford to miss!
- Entrance hall
- Staircase with oak spindles and carved newel post, brass stair rods, stripped oak panelled walls and ceiling rose.
- Drawing Room
- 4.88m x 4.88m (16' x 16')
White marble fireplace and hearth with Register grate, shuttered windows, bare wood flooring and cornice
- Dining room
- 4.78m x 4.78m (15' 8" x 15' 8")
Cast iron fireplace with decorative pine surround, tiled inset and slate hearth, shuttered windows, bare wood flooring, ceiling rose and cornice
- Family room
- 4.8m x 3.89m (15' 9" x 12' 9")
Cast iron basket grate with pine surround and nursery fender, exposed stone chimney breast, open ceiling with exposed trusses and glazed door leading to garden
- 4.88m x 4.09m (16' x 13' 5")
Exposed stone walls, solid stone floor and period mahogany fireplace with gas inset, feature reclaimed staircase from church pulpit to loft bedroom
- Shower room
- 2.01m x 1.47m (6' 7" x 4' 10")
- Loft bedroom
- 4.88m x 3.96m (16' 0" x 13' 0")
Whitewashed stone walls and exposed beams
- Kitchen/ dining
- 8.53m x 2.03m (28' x 6' 8")
Hand painted kitchen units with brass and ceramic handles, Belfast style sink, Aga range cooker in reclaimed brick chimney breast with side drawer units with granite tops. Reclaimed pine island unit with granite work surface including small ceramic sink, cupboards and drawers. Larder unit, plate racks, integrated American style fridge freezer, slate flooring bay window with church pew seating. Exposed reclaimed brick wall divider unit between kitchen and dining with wooden beam and pine clad support.
The dining area has a bare pitched pine floor, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone walls, a half moon hand painted glass window and glass double doors to garden
- Rear hall
- Quarry tiled floor, double doors to kitchen and stripped pine doors with coloured leaded glass detail to utility room
- 4.57m x 3.96m (15' x 13')
Belfast style sink unit with brass taps, coat hanging space, plumbing for washing machine and quarry tiled floor
- Service pantry
- 3.48m x 2.34m (11' 5" x 7' 8")
With reclaimed pine units, reclaimed brick wall, Belfast style sink unit with brass taps, quarry tiled floor and double doors with coloured glass detail to kitchen
- Gallery landing
- With reclaimed oak spindles, newel post and hand rail, study area overlooking front vista, carved oak fluted columns leading to back landing
- Rear landing
- Hotpress with reclaimed oak doors which were originally the inner doors of Ashleigh House girls school. Leaded glass skylight
- Master bedroom
- 5.97m x 3.96m (19' 7" x 13')
Railed walk in wardrobe
- 3.66m x 1.75m (12' x 5' 9")
Roll top claw foot bath with brass mixer taps and shower attachment, wash hand basin with brass taps in vanity unit, shower cubicle and W.C.
- Bedroom 2
- 4.57m x 4.5m (15' x 14' 9")
- Bedroom 3
- 4.88m x 4.75m (16' x 15' 7")
- Bedroom 4
- 4.32m x 3.61m (14' 2" x 11' 10")
Period cast iron firebasket
- 4.52m x 1.52m (14' 10" x 5')
Shower cubicle with rainfall shower head, Sanitan W.C. with high cistern, brass pipework and wooden seat, Sanitan wash hand basin on decorative cast iron stand, brass taps, step up to bathing area with pitch pine flooring, roll top bath with free standing brass mixer tap and shower head
- Beautiful mature gardens including lawns, flower and shrub beds, wooded areas with apple and plum trees, stone walls, pathways and paved terraces. There are roses covering the front porch, a Virginia creeper adorning the front elevation of the house and hedging in Beech, Laurel and pink Escallonia.
- Wrought iron gates leading to enclosed brick paved yard. Shrub and flower beds adjacent to house and decorative open porch at back door.
- 3.71m x 4.8m (12' 2" x 15' 9")
- Double garage
- 6.4m x 8.53m (21' x 28')
Two wooden entrance doors with brick arches. Spiral staircase leading to hay loft.
- 6.1m x 9.14m (20' x 30')
Comprising three loose boxes
- Foaling box
- 4.62m x 1.83m (15' 2" x 6' 0")
- Run in shed
- 6.1m x 6.55m (20' x 21' 6")
Opening out to rear yard and fields beyond
- Tack room
- 7.01m x 4.37m (23' x 14' 4")
With Belfast style sink and oil fired boiler
- Outside W.C.
- With storage
- Rear yard
- Back lane leading to rear of outbuildings with stack yard, walled manure heap and access to paddocks. Railed, sand surfaced lunging arena.